Graduate Project Officer (Walking and Cycling Team)
Contract Type: Temporary
Salary: £17,681 - £18,672 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time
Advertised By: Leicester City Council
Post Number: R5645/0718AAex
Job Category: Regeneration/ Economic Development
Advert End Date: 8 August 2018
Location: City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ
Full Time (37 hrs/wk), 12 month Fixed Term Graduate Opportunity
Walking & Cycling Team manage and ensure delivery of a programme of projects that encourage people to travel sustainably with the aim of reducing air pollution within the city and with the outcome of increasing people’s physical activity.
The team, principally funded by the DfT’s Access Fund 2017-20, has three main areas of work: within businesses, within communities and the school run parking programme. The post is within the section engaging with businesses. Part of the work programme involves a ‘Discovery Walks and Rides’ project, which involves working in selected city-based businesses by initiating a programme of 8-week lunchtime led ‘Discovery Walks and Rides’, plus tools around those activities, which would give employees the confidence to switch to a more active mode of transport and away from commuting by single-occupancy car journeys. The programme would involve showing employees different lunch spots, ‘green option’ routes for home to work journeys in combination with the Choose How You Move journey planner, the opportunity to try out electric bikes for a period of time, and staff gaining an understanding of what walking different distances (1, 1.5 or 2 miles) or cycling distances (4 to 6 miles) actually feels like.
We have the opportunity for a graduate to work as a delivery officer on this area of work with project management oversight from a Transport Development Officer.
Duties of the role include:
– identifying businesses to take part in the Discovery Walks and Rides programme and speaking with employees to encourage participation.
– encouraging sustainable travel options at our business travel roadshows.
– planning a variety of routes for cycle rides and walks from the business, incorporating green pathways.
– leading rides or walks or arranging for Walk and Cycle Leaders to do so.
– initiating sustainable commute journeys where there are clusters of employees going to/from a similar location.
– putting together personal travel plans for staff within businesses.
Requirements of the post include:
– Having strong communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to deal effectively with customers / work colleagues / senior management, a professional attitude to appropriately represent the council to business and the ability to speak with and encourage a wide range of audiences.
– Being able to demonstrate strong project management and/or organisational skills.
– Being able to demonstrate an interest in working within the field of sustainable transport.
– Being able to use own initiative.
For an informal discussion please contact Hannah May on 0116 454 2817.
Please ensure you provide an email address as this is our method of contact.