Planning Assistant (Student Summer Placement)
Contract Type: Fixed Term Temporary
Salary: £8.90 per hour
Location: Narborough, Leicestershire
Working Pattern: Full time
Advertised By: Blaby District Council
Post Number: REQ00444
Job Category: Planning / Building Control
Advert End Date: 12 June 2018
£8.90 per hour – Up to 37 hours a week
Fixed term contract up to 12 weeks during summer 2018
Opportunity for a student currently studying for a degree in town planning, geography, environment studies, surveying (or related subject area)
- Are you currently studying for a degree in town planning or a related subject such as geography?
- Are you looking for a job over the university summer holidays which will also provide useful work experience related to your degree subject or about to finish your degree and considering your career options?
The Development Services Team process and make decisions on over 1,000 planning and related applications in Blaby District every year. We also have responsibilities with regard to conservation areas, listed buildings and protected trees.
Blaby District covers parts of the urban fringe of Leicester City, a range of other towns and villages and attractive rural countryside. It is an exciting time to join us as we make decisions on where new homes should be built, enable businesses to grow and develop and help to facilitate the delivery of the infrastructure needed by communities.
The planning assistant role will involve:
- Working in a supportive team environment
- Advising customers on planning matters, in writing and verbally
- Assisting with the processing of planning applications, including carrying out site visits
The role will provide training to give you the skills which will be of use in your future career including:
- Developing your knowledge and understanding of town planning
- Customer service and communication
- Team work
- Good emotional intelligence
- Political intelligence
- Proactively working towards finding solutions to problems and decision making
Blaby District Council is a very friendly place to work and we pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service. Our office is located approximately 7 miles from Leicester City Centre. It is easily accessible by train or bus. For example Narborough train station is less than five minutes walk from the office and direct trains stop at the station from Leicester, Birmingham, Hinckley and Nuneaton. We have free on site car parking and bicycle bays.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please email email@example.com and provide your contact details and a statement (up to 500 words) explaining why you are interested in the role and how you meet the criteria in the attached person specification.
Closing date: Midnight Tuesday 12 June 2018
Interview dates: 18 & 19 June 2018
Please note: If you are a disabled applicant and you meet all of the essential criteria of the Job Description and Person Specification you will be guaranteed an interview. You just need to let us know in your application
Blaby District Council want their workforce to reflect the make up the community we serve, and we therefore welcome applications irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, religion, belief, sexual orientation, age or disability.