Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £34,106 - £37,107 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time
Advertised By: Leicester City Council
Post Number: X4031/0918VS/EXT
Job Category: Planning / Building Control
Advert End Date: 14 October 2018
Leicester is an exciting and enjoyable place to live and work. It has a rich history and a wonderful built and natural environment. It is a rapidly growing economy in a strategic position in the country. As a result it has a growing national and international profile. We are working on developing innovative and ambitious plans at local and strategic levels to build on this position.
About the role:
We are seeking to recruit a Senior Planning Officer to lead the critically important area of housing policy development for Leicester. In addition to taking our Local Plan through examination and implementing its policies and proposals, the role also involves shaping ground-breaking work on the Leicester and Leicestershire Strategic Growth Plan to secure consensus on future growth for the area.
The right candidate will be experienced and committed with a strong track record and commitment to planning.
You will be working as part of the Planning Policy team, shaping our city and balancing the need for new homes and jobs against the need to protect the heritage and green environment. This will involve playing a key role in the research, monitoring and development of policy relating to housing demand, need, supply and delivery in the city. This will include negotiating with neighbouring authorities, stakeholders, communities and interested parties on the preparation of statutory and non-statutory planning policy documents and advising on site development and applications. You will also manage the council’s data, information and evidence on housing delivery.
The purpose of this role is to:
- Help manage the preparation and delivery of the Council’s local plan and other development plans
- Taking the lead responsibility for planning policy in relation to housing and other specialist areas including scoping, project planning and commissioning supporting technical work and evidence.
- Take responsibility for advice on planning policy matters to the City Mayor, elected members, senior officers, developers, partners and other stakeholders
- Support the Team Leader, with management of the team and to ensure delivery of the Councils planning policies functions, alongside the Head of Service.
Requirements of the post:
- Recognised degree or diploma in town planning and eligibility for full membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Practical understanding of the legislation and guidance relating to planning
- Practical understanding of the entire planning process including policy formulation, development management and specialist input
- Substantial post qualification experience in town planning including experience in dealing with complex planning issues
- Experience of and ability to guide and advise other staff
For an informal discussion please contact Grant Butterworth on 0116 454 5044.
Please ensure you provide an email address as this is our preferred method of contact.